Governor Brown’s Executive Order B-37-16 in May of 2016 delivered the message that Water Conservation is a new way of life in California. Over the past five years, Californians have endured a historic drought that has affected our surface and groundwater resources.
By executive order B-40-17 in April of 2017, Governor Brown declared an end to California’s drought. The City of Modesto is now receiving the full allotment of surface water from the Modesto Regional Water Treatment Plant (MRWTP). Groundwater aquifers recover much more slowly than surface water sources and are limited, but as our customers continue to be good stewards of water and have adhered to our goals of water restriction and conservation, we have seen groundwater levels continue to improve.
On October 10, 2017, the City Council approved two days a week outdoor water use for City’s contiguous water customers (Modesto, Empire, Salida, and Ceres). These customers are served by both surface water and groundwater. The two days a week schedule will be effective from November 1, 2017 through March 31, 2018. During this five month period, the region should receive most of its annual precipitation and outdoor watering needs are reduced. Council also approved the return to three days a week watering schedule from April 1, 2018 through October 31, 2018, for these contiguous water customers and these schedules will continue year around.
Since the City’s outlying water service areas are served with only groundwater (Del Rio, Grayson, Turlock and Ceres – Walnut Manor), staff recommended and Council approved a two days a week outdoor water use schedule year around for customers in these areas.
Two-Day Watering Schedule
For Customers with addresses ending in an even number, outdoor watering is permitted on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
For Customers with addresses ending in an odd number, outdoor watering is permitted on Wednesdays and Sundays
Outdoor water use is prohibited daily from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Outdoor water use prohibited daily from 12 p.m. - 7 p.m. and no outdoor water use on Monday, Thursday, or Friday.
- Use of drip irrigation and hand watering of trees and shrubs with use of a positive shutoff nozzle is permitted at any time
- Car washing is permitted with use of a positive shutoff nozzle
- Hosing concrete areas, building exteriors, etc. is prohibited except for health/safety concerns or for maintenance/construction purposes, with use of a positive shutoff nozzle
- Water leaks must be repaired within 24 hours
- Restaurants and food service establishments prohibited from serving water except upon request
- No irrigating turf or ornamental landscapes during and 48 hours following measurable rain
- Operators of hotels and motels must provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily and prominently display notice of this option.
- Outdoor watering must be kept on your property…avoid water runoff
For more information, you can contact the water conservation program at 209-342-2246 or review the following websites: