Accessory Dwelling Units
Your ADU From Start to Finish
1. Create a Plan
- Show your property boundaries, placement and size of:
- Existing House
- All Structures (Detached garage, gazebo and any others)
2. Get Planning Advice from the City of Modesto
Prior to submitting for a building permit, it is a good idea to check with the Planning Division on ADU setbacks and other zoning requirement. You can do this in a number of ways:
- Bring your plans to the Planning and Building counter, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1010 Tenth Street, Suite 3100, Modesto CA 95354.
- A Planning Division staff member will advise you on topics including ADU zoning regulations and answer other questions you may have regarding permitting.
- Save time at the counter by first referring to the Modesto Municipal Code section 10-4.115. Table 4.1-3 at this link provides useful planning information
- If your ADU will be a second story addition on a garage, and your neighboring properties are all single-story, you may need an administrative review by the Planning Division. View and print the Administrative Application.
- You can also ask questions and share your plans via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Planning Division at (209) 577-5267.
- If you need an address for your ADU, you will also need to apply through the Planning Division. You will need to have your ADU building permit before applying for its own address. The fee for a new address is currently $167 and the application should be submitted to the Planning Division, either by regular mail or at the Building and Planning counter.
COMING SOON - Examples of Pre-Approved ADU Plans
3. Prepare Permit Submittal Package
4. Apply for your ADU Permit
5. Hire Experienced, Licensed Professionals
- We advise that you hire a designer, licensed architect or engineer to design your ADU, and a licensed contractor to build it. Your ADU can be custom designed for your site, use pre-approved plans, or you may want to take advantage of prefabricated units.
6. Your Plans will be reviewed by City Staff
- You can use the City of Modesto's eTRAKiT online Permit System to view progress.
7. Permit Issued
8. Construct Your ADU, Schedule and Pass inspections
Grant and Financing Information
White House Briefing - Housing Costs
- President Biden Announces New Actions to Ease the Burden of Housing Costs | The White House
- 2023 Budget to include $25 Billion in federal grants for Affordable Housing Production. This includes intergenerational housing, investments that place vacant or underutilized properties back into productive use, ADUs, and novel and non-traditional development techniques, including modular, panelized, or manufactured housing.