In order to recognize certain occasions or renters for whom a fee other than the full fee should be allowed, fee categories are as follow: Non-profit-50% of full fee (Monday-Thursday); fundraiser-100% of full fee plus 5% of net profits. Commercial for profit-100% of full fee plus 5% of gross profit. For details, call 209-577-5344.
Rental Uses Not Permitted:
- Any use by an organization or individual for the commission of any act intended to further any program or movement dedicated to overthrowing the United States or State of California governments by force, violence or other unlawful means.
- Any use by any organization or individual for the commission of any act that is prohibited by law or for the commission of any crime.
- Any use that is inconsistent with the designed use of the rental facility/area or with the declared use stated on the rental form.
- Any use that is discriminatory in the legal sense.
- Any use that involves the possession, consumption or sale of any restricted substance. Note: Permit may be granted for the sale of alcoholic beverages at designated facilities and must be approved by Alcohol Beverage Control.
- Any use by minors under the age of 18 years of age, unless chaperons over age 21 are present at all times.
- Any use for casino or Las Vegas gambling-type events.
- Any use by any organization whose bylaws do not meet EEO/DFEH or Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines.
- Any use by a person, group or organization with previous violations of City policies, procedures or regulations governing the use of the City’s rental facilities.
- Any use of a facility covered by this policy without prior payment of the appropriate fee for the time of use, except picnic areas, sports fields or sports rental facilities that may be used without reservation, provided that there is not a paid reservation for the facility.
Fundraising is permitted at most facilities, except neighborhood pools. The full fee for the facility must be paid. The Department reserves the right to negotiate a % of the gross income of the event, up to 5 %. In all cases, specific requirements must be met. For complete policy, call 209-577-5344.
Alcohol in the Parks
Alcohol is allowed in City parks by permit only; a $10 fee is required. Call 209-577-5344 for locations to obtain permit.
- Barbecue Trailer (Portable): Two available for rent for private and public events. Rental must be in conjunction with rental of a City facility. Each has two (2) 3’ x 4’ adjustable grills. Renter must provide charcoal (no wood fires). City staff will deliver and place trailer(s) in appropriate location. Trailer(s) may not be moved by the renter once placed on site. Coals must be left in barbecue, not placed in garbage barrels or on the ground.
- Softball Equipment Bag: Comes with one ball and one bat. Rental must be in conjunction with rental of a City facility. May be picked up on the last business day before the rental and must be returned on the first business day following the rental in order to receive a full refund of the deposit paid.
- Volleyball Equipment Bag: Comes with a volleyball and net. Renter must provide own poles. Rental must be in conjunction with rental of a City facility. May be picked up on the last business day before the rental and must be returned on the first business day following the rental in order to receive a full refund of the deposit paid.
Filming utilizing City facilities is permitted for both private and commercial use. When persons are being filmed, permission must be obtained from event attendees being filmed (or the parent or legal guardian of any minor) or others using City of Modesto facilities, whether for private or commercial use. The exception will be if the filming is of a large group of people. There is no fee for filming on City facilities by the media for news stories or for private use (including school projects for which no payment is received), provided no special services are requested, all applicable federal, state and local regulations are observed and the filming does not result in damage to City or private property. Filming for commercial purposes requires a permit and payment of a use fee. Insurance will also be required. For complete policy, call 209-577-5344.
- Date Move/Re-booking Option: An administrative (date move) fee will be charged for any reservation that is rebooked (i.e., the date of the reservation is moved). This fee shall apply to one rebooking (date move) only per reservation. If the event is rebooked more than once, the established cancellation policy shall be in effect for all other re-bookings.
- Open/Close Facility: If a renter fails to pick up a key(s) or loses it prior to scheduled use, a fee will be assessed for maintenance staff to unlock and lock the reserved facility. With the exception of the staffed facilities, it is the renter’s responsibility to pay a key deposit, pick up the appropriate key(s) and return it after use. If it is necessary to change the locks due to renter’s loss of the key or damage to the lock, additional charges for labor and materials will be assessed.
- Permit for Sales Adjacent to City Parks (Vendor Permit): The City issues vending permits for sale of food and non-alcoholic beverages on the streets adjacent to its parks (permits are not issued at Beyer Park or the Modesto Skate Park). Sales must be conducted from a licensed vehicle and are limited to the street immediately adjacent to (on the same side as) the park. no part of the vendor’s operation may be on the park itself, on the sidewalk or in parking lots. Vendors are required to have a current and valid City of Modesto business license and proof of product liability and vehicle insurance in amounts satisfactory to the City Risk Manager. If liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) is used, an inspection certificate from the City of Modesto Fire Department must be presented. For complete policy, call 209-577-5344.
- Rental of Garbage Barrels: Additional garbage containers and handling will be required for any event at which the number of attendees is expected to exceed the capacity of the facility reserved. City staff will provide additional containers. For complete policy, call 209-577-5344.
- Entertainment Features: Facility renters may, at their own expense, provide entertainment features, such as inflatable jumping bins. The vendor must have a current and valid City of Modesto business license and must have insurance satisfactory to the City of Modesto Risk Manager. For complete policy, call 209-577-5344.
- Damage Repair Services: The renter is responsible for actual costs, including staff time, of breakage or damage to City property, facilities or equipment caused by attendees at event. For complete policy, call 209-577-5344.
- Staff Costs: Staff time, beyond that which is included in the rental fee, will be billed according to established fees. Event staffing will be for actual time of the event plus one-half (½) hour. All other staff costs will be for actual time spent, rounded up to the nearest hour.
- Vehicle Costs: When a City vehicle is needed for the completion of assigned duties, vehicle costs (beyond those included in the rental fee) will be billed according to established fees.