Parking Adjudication Process

Important Notice

If you do not meet the deadline listed on your citation, your option to dispute the citation will be forfeited and you will be liable for payment of the parking violation and any additional fees. There is a three level process for contesting a parking citation per California Vehicle Code Section 40215(a).


Note: If you would like to dispute your parking citation please do not pay the citation or you will lose your option to request an Informal Review of the citation.

  • 1st Level - Informal Review: If you feel the parking ticket you received was issued in error, and would like to dispute it, you have 21 calendar days from the date that the ticket was issued or 14 calendar days from the mailing date of the Notice of Parking Violation to submit a completed Informal Review form per VC 40215. You should also include any supportive documentation (e.g. receipts, pictures, diagrams) to support your statement. (Materials submitted for review will not be returned). The Informal Review Results will be mailed to the address you have provided on the form.
  • 2nd Level - Formal Hearing: If you are dissatisfied with the 1st level informal review results, and wish to proceed to the 2nd level, you must deposit the amount of the citation and request a Formal Hearing within 21 calendar days from the postmark date of the results as required by State Law. If you are unable to deposit the amount of the citation, you may be eligible for an exemption. To determine if you qualify for the exemption you will need to complete a Financial Evaluation Form and provide copies of all required documents for review. Please contact our office at 209-571-5140 to request a form.
  • 3rd Level - Superior Court: If you are not satisfied with the Hearing Officers decision, you may seek a review by filing an appeal to be heard by the superior court within 30 calendar days from the postmarked date of the Formal Hearing results. To request a civil review, you must contact the Parking Adjudication Office at 209-571-5140 or in person at 1010 10th street, Suite 2100. You will be required to pay a $25 filing fee by check or money order payable to Stanislaus County Superior Court. If the court renders a decision in your favor, the parking violation penalty and the $25 filing fee will be refunded to you.

The judgment by the superior court is final per CVC 40230.

How to Dispute a Parking Violation (PDF)

Dispute Your Parking Citation