In 2018, twenty two percent of stolen vehicles were taken using the owners' keys. We encourage you to practice the following key awareness tips:
- Never leave your vehicle running unattended.
- As you walk to your car, scan your surroundings to identify who may be watching you as you enter your vehicle.
- Avoid using a hide-a-key
- Do not store your key or key fob in your vehicle; even if it is parked in your garage.
- Be vigilant when in public; keys may be dropped in parking lots or stolen from purses.
- Be sure keys are not accessible to house guests, especially those not well known to you such as a friend of a roommate.
For more crime prevention information or if you have questions, please contact Modesto Police Department at 209-572-9500.