The purpose of the sidewalk vendor permit is to help promote entrepreneurship, while ensuring the protection of the public health, safety, and welfare. The requirements of getting your permit are put in place to make sure the traffic from vehicles and pedestrians in the public right-of-way are not affected, vending does not negatively impact the public safety and to make sure that food vendors are following County public health requirements.
Required Documents and Forms
The below listed documents must be provided at the time of application.
- Sidewalk Vendor Permit application
- Supplemental questionnaire
- City of Modesto’s Indemnification, Defense and Hold Harmless Agreement
- State of California Seller’s Permit number issued by California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
- Copy of your Government issued identification
- Copy of required insurance coverage
- Copy of current City of Modesto Business License *upon approval and prior to the issuance of the permit
Additional Requirements for Vendors Selling Food Items
In addition to the above, vendors proposing to sell food items will need to provide the following:
- Copy of required approvals and permits issued by Stanislaus County Department of Environmental Resources.
- Copy of City of Modesto Fire Department inspection clearance (if using heating element)
The following fees will be due after the approval of a vendor permit and before your permit will be issued.
- Business License fee
- Public Use Deposit fee
Renewing your Permit
A permit may be renewed annually for stationary and roaming sidewalk vendors. Renewal applications will be available after November 1st of each year and must be completed by December 15 of the same calendar year. For your renewal application to be considered complete, you must submit your payment of the annul permit fee of $150.00.
Stationary sidewalk vendor permits may be renewed annually for up to four (4) consecutive years before having to apply for a new permit. Any designated stationary location that we have not received payment for by December 15 will be made available for permitting of any future applicant after January 1 of the following year.