Modesto will once again host the Amgen Tour of California on Wednesday, May 19, where cyclists from around the world will complete two circuit laps of the downtown Modesto area before finishing at the intersection of 12th and I Streets. This is an exciting event that requires several road closures and no parking zones, meaning that before, during and after the race there will be limited access to parts of Modesto. The descriptions below and map outline when and where the closures will take place, please plan accordingly for any travel between 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 18, and 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 19. Better yet – Wednesday is also Bike to Work Day, avoid road closure and no parking zones all together and Bike to Work (click here for more information) a free bike corral will be available. We hope to see you along the race route or at the finish line to cheer on these talented and renowned cyclists!
Specific closure information:
Beginning at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 18, through 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 19, I Street between 9th and 16th Streets will be closed.
Beginning at 9 a.m. trough the end of the race on Wednesday, May 19, 11th Street between K and I Streets will be closed as will J Street between 11th and 16th.
From noon through the end of the race on Wednesday, May 19, the following streets will be closed (as will all the streets inside these boundaries):
· N. Franklin Street
· Kansas Avenue/Needham Street Overpass
· College Avenue from Needham Street to Coldwell Avenue
· Coldwell Avenue from College Avenue to Sycamore Avenue
· Sycamore Avenue from Coldwell Avenue to Needham Street
· Needham Street from College Avenue to McHenry/5-Points
· 16th Street from Needham to I Street
Click here for the road closure map and race viewing spots.
Free parking locations:
· 719 I Street (north west corner of 8th and I Streets) at Cheap! Cheap! Groceries and More
· 930 J Street (south east Corner of 7th and J) in front of the church
· 832 and 825 I Street (south side of I Street between 6th and 7th) at the Revival Center
Mark your calendars! The Stage 4 Finish in Modesto has an approximate finish time of 3:15 p.m. at the intersection of 12th and I Streets; leading up to the high-speed dash for the finish, is an afternoon filled with FREE activities for the whole family beginning at 11 a.m. in Downtown Modesto. With three large screen televisions to watch the race and a Lifestyle Festival rivaling any healthy living expo to date, Modesto is the place to be on Wednesday, May 19, when the likes of Lance Armstrong, Levi Leipheimer, Mark Cavendish and more than 120 other professional cyclists speed through town.
For more information and a route map, visit www.modestogov.com/amgen/.