City of Modesto
Employee Benefit Overview
This page contains information about the benefits provided to full time employees with the City of Modesto.
The City of Modesto provides a competitive package of employee benefit programs that supports City recruitment
and retention objectives and is designed to meet the diverse and changing needs of our employees. The Benefits
Division in Human Resources Services administers these programs.
For Your Health
- Health - City of Modesto offers four health insurance plans that include:
- Kaiser HMO
- Blue Shield HMO
- Blue Shield PPO
- Blue Shield PPO HDHP
- Mental Health
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – counseling for employees and their families
Retirement, Disability and Insurance
- Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) – Participation is this retirement plan is mandatory beginning on the
first day of employment. The City does not participate in Social Security except for the required 1.45% Medicare
contribution by both the employee and the City.
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan – Employees may participate in this program on a voluntary basis available
through ICMA-Retirement Corporation.
- Term Life Insurance policy – City provides a term life insurance policy at City cost for all employees.
Additional Supplemental coverage is available at employee cost.
- Long-Term Disability (LTD) – City provides a policy for all employees (except Firefighters.)
Other Benefits (Voluntary programs)
- Flexible Spending Accounts – Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) and Unreimbursed Medical Program (URM)
- Traditional and Roth IRA
- Membership in Modesto’s First Federal Credit Union
- Savings Bonds
- Educational Savings Account (ESA)