Community & Economic Development
The objective of our department staff is to ensure that new development achieves a balance between the economic, social, environmental and quality of life goals for the City of Modesto.
Division Services and Contact Information During COVID-19 Restrictions Through April 6, 2020
Building Safety and Neighborhood Preservation
- Public Access to the Development Center Counter will be closed from March 17th through April 6th in order to do our part in slowing the spread of COVID-19.
- To apply for over the counter permits, go to Building Safety and Neighborhood Preservation and click on "Online Services" on the green menu bar to the left.
- To apply for a plan review, please email an application to Permits or call 209-577-5232 extension 1.
- We will continue to provide requested building inspections on a daily basis.
- Code enforcement officers are continuing to respond to complaints received from the community. Call, email or use the GoModesto app for Apple or Android phones.
- Public Access to the Community Development Division will be closed from March 17th through April 6th in order to do our part in slowing the spread of COVID-19. We are available by phone or by email. Please contact 209-577-5211 or email@example.com.
- Business Advisory Services are available by phone or email. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entertainment Permit counter is closed for walk-in application meetings. Email: email@example.com. For assistance regarding a Special Event, please email Margaret: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Updated COVID-19 business information, resource guide, and business impact survey are at the Economic Development page.
Land Development and Engineering
- Public Access to the Land Development Counter will be closed from March 17th through April 6th in order to do our part in slowing the spread of COVID-19.
- We will continue to provide permitting and development review services.
- Land Development Engineering is available by email. Please contact Dan England at email@example.com , or Tamorah Bryant at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public Access to the Planning Counter will be closed from March 17th through April 6th in order to do our part in slowing the spread of COVID-19. However, we will still be available to respond to inquiries via e-mail and phone. If you need to contact the Planning Division, the best way to reach us is through our main phone line at (209) 577-5267. If no one is available, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Transportation Engineering and Design
Economic Development Overview
Modesto is a great place to live, work and visit, and the business community is both vital and supportive. Businesses that come here stay here and prosper in an excellent regional market.
Modesto's high quality of life, affordability, and "Magic 90 Minutes" location is a winning formula for a growing, diverse business community.
Modesto Economic Indicators Report
Modesto continues to experience steady economic growth creating both employment and development opportunities.
The Economic Indicators report summarizes key economic factors and conditions, including Employment; Retail, Commercial and Industrial Real Estate; Building Permit activity; Household Income and Housing markets; and Government performance.